[OpenID] AddId! - A useful idea of mine?!

Dan Libby danda at videntity.org
Wed Jan 31 19:37:32 UTC 2007

Hi Lukas,

I am interested.  My first question is/was: How is this different from OpenID
attribute exchange?  After glancing through your spec, I could suggest an
answer, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

A few random thoughts/suggestions:

1) For contacts, why not include XFN relationship data if available?

2) For bookmarks, perhaps there is an existing bookmark file format we can
use?  Such as bookmarks.html used in mozilla.

3) What about foaf?  microformats?   too hard to parse?

4) As this seems to be a fairly generalized framework for transfering
disparate formats, why not make it truly general and extensible, possibly via
mime types or xml namespaces...

regards,

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 13:15, Lukas Rosenstock wrote:
> Hello everybody!
> Sometimes I visit a blog and they have tons of buttons like "Add to
> Bloglines", "Add to MyMSN". Why can't they be smart enough to find out
> the service I actually use (which might not be in their list now)?
> On LiveJournal, one can add OpenID accounts as friends. However on LJ
> userinfo sites there is a nice "Add me as a friend" button which I won't
> see on an external site.
> Some time ago I've came up with a simple idea. Why not describe services
> you use (like feedreaders or social networking sites) in your XRDS so
> that other sites who have asked for your iName or URL can find them and
> provide a customized link for me?
> Now I've finally written down the idea into a small draft, which is
> attached to this mail. Is anybody in the OpenID or Yadis community
> interested?
> Regards,
>   Lukas

Dan Libby