[OpenID] Teenagers do not need OpenID

Dave Kearns dkearns at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 00:34:20 UTC 2007

1) Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should.
2) Just because bad behavior can be done manually doesn't mean we should
automate it
3) I would expect that any system calling itself "user-centric" would at
least pay lip-service to the 7 Laws of Identity, including:

#1 "Technical identity systems must only reveal information identifying a
user with the user’s consent."
Not my friend's consent, my consent.
#3 "Digital identity systems must be designed so the disclosure of
identifying information is limited to parties having a necessary and
justifiable place in a given identity relationship."
A service I may never have heard of has no justifiable reason to acquire my
identity data.

It is a thin line between being able to port "my favorite music" and "my
favorite people" from one service to another. But the line does exist and
it's a line I think shouldn't be crossed.

-dave

PS - Try to remember to "reply all" or the reply only goes to the OP (i.e.,
Original Poster. oops!  :)

From: Chris Messina