[OpenID] OpenId Chance

Dan Libby danda at videntity.org
Fri Jan 26 21:37:24 UTC 2007

On Friday 26 January 2007 11:44, Chris Messina wrote:
> First, is that not everyone will appreciate having their details
> shared about them by others (see FOAF) on a public portal. This could
> be remedied by, at the least, concealing the XFN relationships behind
> OpenID authentication.

At videntity, we handled this by allowing the user to specify for each bit of
data they enter, if they would like it be public or private. (Including the
xfn relationship.)  Public data is available to all.  Private data is only
viewable by the person, or anyone that they have explicitly added a
relationship to.

> Second, just as folks may not appreciate their contact information
> being shared on the open web for them, still others may not want to be
> added to Social Network X automatically. To some degree, Plaxo's
> Universal Address Book Widget (http://www.plaxo.com/api/widget) puts
> you, the inviter, in the position of responsibility for spamming your
> friends. The same should be true for importing and exporting social
> networks in two ways:
>
> 1. no one should be automatically added to a social network unless
> they requested it. Therefore, whenever contacts are imported into a
> system as a step in rebuilding or *subscribing* to one's social
> network, the next step will be to *invite* those contacts who are not
> already in the system to join.

You might want to take an approach like videntity here.  We differentiate
between outgoing relationships ( those I have asserted ) and incoming ( those
someone else has asserted ).  So there is no real need to ever "accept" or
authenticate a relationship.  I suppose there could be an option to refuse,
which would cause the incoming asserted relationship to not be displayed.

Dan Libby
http://videntity.org