[OpenID] OpenId Chance

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 18:07:12 UTC 2007

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure what alternative you're proposing. Nor was I suggesting
that OpenID become "the Plaxo of identity systems" -- quite the
contrary!

In fact, the idea that I'm describing is to remove the intermediaries
*like* Plaxo from the import/export process, keeping you squarely in
control of the data that you share about yourself. If you offer a
public hcard at the end of your OpenID, that accelerates the degree to
which people are able to have accurate, public information about you,
nothing more.

As for your social connections, that's really up to you to work out
with your connections. The situation as it exists today is that anyone
who has an address book with email addresses and other contact details
(which I imagine covers a lot of people) can already import you into
all kinds of social networks without your permission. The proposal
that I described is a best case effort to prevent the kind of abusive
auto-joining behavior that could proliferate if we do actually achieve
some kind of portable social network.

For me, at least, I do want to be able to take my connections and
relationship with me when I leave a social network. I made those
connections and spent effort doing so; I don't want to leave only to
lose those ties.

At the same time, being able to respectfully but efficiently join and
move my network with me when it is contextually useful is an important
and relevant use case.

For a simple example, I have Basecamp accounts with 5 different
companies. Every time that I join a new one, not only do I need yet
another username/password, but I also need to import my coworkers so
that I can collaborate with them (this is also true for sites like
Blinksale or Harvest that make use of the Basecamp API). The proposal
that I made could accommodate this need.

Dave, I'm very curious about your thoughts on this -- can you expand
on the kind of control that you would like? And perhaps who OpenID
helps or diminishes that control?

Thanks,

Chris