[OpenID] Social whitelisting with OpenID

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 07:56:58 UTC 2007

Simon Willison wrote:
> I've written up a proposal for an OpenID social whitelisting
> mechanism, whereby blogs can publish lists of OpenIDs that they trust
> not to be comment spammers. It's mostly meant as a demonstration of
> the kind of interesting things you can start to build once OpenID
> becomes more widespread.
>
> http://simonwillison.net/2007/Jan/22/whitelisting/
>
> As always, comments are welcome. I'm really interested in the idea of
> using OpenID as the basis for simple trust networks.

I like the concept, but I think enumerating all of a site's whitelist
entries won't scale on bigger sites.

Last week I hacked up the following draft:
     <http://openid.net/wiki/index.php/Group_Membership_Protocol>

It's a very simple protocol for querying whether a URI is a member of a
group without enumerating all of the members of the group.