[OpenID] OpenID and phishing (was Announcing OpenIDAuthentication 2.0 - Implementor's Draft 11)

Mike Beltzner beltzner at mozilla.com
Fri Jan 19 23:03:42 UTC 2007

On 19-Jan-07, at 12:40 PM, Ben Laurie wrote:

>>> Exactly. I wouldn't expect OpenID to _solve_ phishing all on its
>>> lonesome, but making it worse really does strike me as a serious
>>> problem - and one that should cause all security people to recommend
>>> avoiding it like the plague. We should be progressing on
>>> phishing, not
>>> regressing.
>>
>> I think the suggestions on this list are a great start and I'm
>> sure we'll
>> see folks starting to implement them soon.
>>
>> Ben: since its clearly not an issue for the spec,
>
> I do not agree that its not an issue for the spec. As it stands, the
> spec completely washes its hands of this issue, and I don't think
> that's acceptable.
>
>> do you have any
>> suggestions on how to combat phishing for OpenID's?
>
> a) Push browser authors to add unphishable auth!

Sure thing! Uhm, got the technology for that ready? :)

Seriously, we're very interested. It's not an easy problem. If I'm
missing some easy solution that solves this, please hit me over the
head with it 'cause I'd love nothing more than to drop a bunch of
these working groups I'm on ...

cheers,
mike