[OpenID] Is Ignoring Attribute Exchange a strategic error?

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Thu Jan 18 17:49:50 UTC 2007

First let's make sure we are not confusing the OpenID Exchange
proposal from Martin and the OpenID Attribute Exchange proposal.[1] (AX)

AX is why Sxip joined OpenID. SSO is nice for sites, but what we have
found they really want, and should be clear to the OpenID community
since SREG was created, is moving identity attributes.

OpenID has provided an SSO solution for almost two years, but it is
not widely deployed at this point in time. When demoing OpenID, it is
challenging to find examples besides LiveJournal and Zooomr where
OpenID is front and center. I take this as an indication that SSO is
not compelling enough.

OpenID does NOT solve phishing, in fact if the OP is not implemented
well, it can make phishing easier as pointed out in Kim Cameron's
blog [2].

The InfoCard model provides rich attribute exchange, the Liberty SAML
profiles provide attribute exchange, why  will people embrace OpenID
if attribute exchange is not available?

AX is a simple, clean specification with an extensible schema
mechanism. It is easy to code. It is easy to deploy. It is easy to
grock given the name/value design pattern of OpenID.

Now I agree we don't want to cram lots of complexity into OpenID, but
I think the extension model allows people to extend OpenID and if
they gain wide acceptance, they can be considered part of the
"standard". This model has been proven over and over again in
computing. Perl 5 with modules, Firefox with addons.

Having said this, I may be a lone voice in the OpenID community.
Perhaps the vast majority people here don't care about attribute
exchange and I should take my marbles and play somewhere else!

-- Dick

[1] http://openid.net/specs/openid-attribute-exchange-1_0-04.html
[2] http://www.identityblog.com/?p=649