[OpenID] Exchange could be a strategic error -- if done now rather than later...

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 17:58:41 UTC 2007

This conversation is very interesting to me and very important.

I keep going back, personally, to the notion of salience -- and doing
a gut check on a lot of the extra stuff going into OpenID2. I agree
with Bob that OpenID ought be known as the "simple authentication
protocol". The stuff "enabled by", "layered on" or "compatible with"
is gravy so long as we get the fundamentals right and implemented in
the wild.

To Dick's point about PERL, note that we're talking about PERL
*Five*... Thus it took a number of generations to get where we are.
Firefox inherits a similarly lengthy genealogy -- where it took 10
years to figure out what parts weren't core-necessary -- and had to
reincarnate itself before it found popular community adoption and the
construction of various add-ons (previously "extensions") and themes.
Drupal, again, demonstrates a different model, breaking backwards
compatilibility with every major release and yet still having an array
of extended functionality, lastly WordPress, which offers a strong
core "engine" around which you can build any number of services,
plugins, themes and the like. I would be remiss not to mention Rails,
too, since perhaps it represents a closer analogy to OpenID, since
it's something that you use to build *other* things, as opposed to
being something you install, run and extend.

Anyway, my point on this is that, from a branding and "how do we talk
about", there's a lot of well known behavior in the wild already. We
just need to pick the example that's closest to us.

But, perhaps more importantly, we also should not get ahead of
ourselves and promote the idea of building on a solid core before we
know what functionality people require in real world scenarios (in
order for them to adopt OpenID). If we do not go through a proper
gestation cycle, we could end up alienating developers and potential
adopters by not given them something robust and stable to build on
(this is what happened at Flock and why I resisted offering an add-ons
site -- our internal APIs weren't stable enough and so we constantly
broke addons to the annoyance of our small-but-growing community).

So, this is a little scattered now, but we do need to focus, know
where OpenID and OpenID non-essentials begin and end, how to message
to end users of OpenID what level of service to expect and, for
implementors, make it clear to them what OpenID end users will expect
of them.

Chris

--
Chris Messina