[OpenID] Exchange could be a strategic error -- if done now rather than later...

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Tue Jan 16 06:55:16 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, Johannes Ernst <jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us> wrote:> What about
we communicate that "two-tier structure" with respect to
> OpenID branding ... more clearly?

+1, Yes. Differentiating between the core and the myriad of layered
capabilities would be make it vastly simpler to clearly communicate what
OpenID is all about. We should be very careful to make sure that the "core"
is as light, simple, secure, and as easy to implement as possible.
Fortunately, it seems to be pretty close to that today.

> the foundation of everything OpenID -- Yadis -- was
> created for the specific purpose to let everybody
> plug in whatever services they like to.

Yes, of course. To my way of thinking, there are two essential things that
OpenID provides:

   1. A method for providing site-independent, distributed numerical
   identity
   2. A framework for building a wide variety of layered capabilities

I believe it would be best, when we speak of OpenID, to focus on just these
two things. All else should be spoken of as "layered on", "enabled by" or
"compatible with" OpenID. Thus, we should NOT have "OpenId Attribute
Exchange" rather, we should have "OpenID Layered Attribute Exchange" or
"Attribute Exchange enabled by OpenID".

Keep the core of OpenID simple and clean. Otherwise, it will be too hard to
talk about this stuff. If this stuff gets too complicated we may have good
technology, but we'll lose the marketing war. Let's not let this become like
WS* which could have been very simple, yet became comically complicated
before anyone even had a chance to begin implementing it.

bob wyman