[OpenID] Visa's 3-D Secure

Gabe Wachob gabe.wachob at amsoft.net
Thu Jan 11 23:48:32 UTC 2007

I've mentioned this to several people before because OpenID is similar in
architecture and intent to Visa's 3-D Secure (the technology behind Verified
by Visa and Mastercard's SecureCode - password authentication for ecommerce
use of credit cards), something I spent  a lot of time with while I was at
Visa. 3-D Secure was deployed several years ago and has met with varying
levels of success. I've been frustrated because the specs are not available
publicly without executing a license and thus lessons from 3-D secure are
hard to discuss in the context of OpenID.

I finally found a public summary of 3-D secure here:
http://partnernetwork.visa.com/pf/3dsec/download/trk_3dsec_system_overview_v
102.pdf (there's a ton of non-technical stuff, but there's a good amount of
technical detail - page 15 onwards).

There's also another less technical document discussing the benefits and
architecture of 3-D Secure for various stakeholders:
http://partnernetwork.visa.com/pf/3dsec/download/trk_3dsec_intro_v102.pdf

The 3-D Secure main page is here:
http://partnernetwork.visa.com/pf/3dsec/main.jsp

            -Gabe