[OpenID] thoughts on a consumer driven idp affiliate program

S. Sriram ssriram at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 02:37:00 UTC 2007

Hi,

The web service we've been building currently supports
OpenID inasmuch as we act as an identity provider.

I was thinking about leveraging the schtuff.com service as a
support wiki for our users.

So, they click on a 'support wiki' link on our site and
are taken to our schtuff.com wikispace, now since our users
may not know that their identity with us is an openid and can
be used to login to schtuff, especially since their identity
is say 'john' and their openid is http://www.ourservice.com/users/john

I thought it might be useful to provide a mechanism by which
an identity provider can link to an openid consumer and let them know
who is calling so the consumers can be smart about 'filling in their openid' for
them and allow them to login more easily. They(the end-users) of course would
still be in control.

In other words, think of this as a 'consumer driven idp affiliate program'

So consumers could build a whitelist of participating servers from
whom they accept referred users. In other words, the user is already
autheticated at the server and the server domain is referring the
user to the consumer and the consumer has previously whitelisted this
server so 'john' has a smooth and seamless experience.

So, a consumer that receives a request from an idp affiliate where the
HTTP_REFERRER is from an ourservice.com domain and the
request is of the type
http://ourservice.schtuff.com?caller_id=http://www.ourservice.com/users/john
could automatically do the needful.

Thoughts