[OpenID] Anti-XRI FUD

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Wed Jan 3 08:49:28 UTC 2007

On 3-Jan-07, at 12:40 AM, Kaliya * wrote:

> On 1/3/07, Jens Alfke <jens at mooseyard.com> wrote:
>
> On 2 Jan '07, at 7:28 PM, Gabe Wachob wrote:
>
>> It sounds to me like a lot of people are upset that somehow INames
>> are not
>> totally decentralized. OK, I can understand that's an issue for
>> some, but
>> for those folks working on INames, its not the primary concern...
>> INames
>> picked two.
>
> That may be because decentralization was a key goal of OpenID from
> day one.
>

> Yes and OpenID cooperated and collaborated with LID and xri/i-names
> and Sxip and now those thread of 'web-based' usercentric Identity
> are all working together and choose to what is called OpenID 2.
> There is more then 'one goal' in the user-centric identity
> community...we can all work together to get a big vision happening
> or we can squabble amongst ourselves...the leaders in this
> community chose the former thank goodness.  We have had plenty of
> totally open public meetings Internet Identity Workhops and
> Identity Open Spaces and mailing lists sending out latest drafts of
> spec's.
>

> Brad was, I believe, tweaking the nose of the first version of
> Sxip, which had recently been unveiled, and which had a single
> point of failure at sxip.net's DNS servers.
>
> I-names does not have the problems that sxip had. For starters the
> IP is in a public roylty free situation at XDI.ORG for years.
> Second it is in a recongnized standards bodies and has folks from
> real companies working on the spec (Visa Boeing, AMD, etc) Third
> the registry is being run by NueStar - that is what they do run
> infrastructure like this (not some startup company who is using DNS).

since you decided to bring up the "problems" with SXIP, i-names has
the main issue that SXIP 1.0 had -- yet another central directory --
and the only reason we had that was because we did not see how to do
it decentralized with DNS in the same way that OpenID works.

fyi: SXIP was being proposed to standards bodies, Neustar was a
startup at one point, and there were real companies working with SXIP
(IBM, Oracle, Red Hat, Novell), and OpenID depends on DNS.

-- Dick