[OpenID] Wiki misbehaving with i-names

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Tue Jan 2 20:27:47 UTC 2007

Both the OpenID wiki and the new i-names dev wiki (both sporting the
same MediaWiki patch, I guess) are exhibiting an undesirable and, unless
I'm missing something, incorrect behavior when dealing with i-names logins.

In an attempt to "get with the programme" I've invested in a pair of
i-names. Both of these i-names point at an XRD with the same i-number in
the CanonicalID. However, the MediaWiki patch does not seem to correctly
link my login to my canonical i-number, as when I sign in with my second
i-name it wants me to create a second user account on the wiki.

Was this intentional? It's certainly not the behavior I was expecting
given all the talk about synonyms and identifier re-assignability. If
our own wiki can't get this right, what are the chances of random
third-party developers getting it right?

(Or do I have to wait until OpenID 2 before this will work?)