[OpenID] why is xri so obtuse?

Johnny Bufu johnny at sxip.com
Tue Jan 2 18:43:56 UTC 2007

Martin,

On 1-Jan-07, at 5:18 PM, Martin Atkins wrote:
> I guess the Java OpenXRI implementation is up-to-date, but as is
> typical
> of Java libraries there appears to be no simple example or "common
> case"
> easy API, so you already have to understand nearly everything about
> XRI
> before you can begin to grok the library.
>
>    Ideally I'd just like a simple tool like the xriresolve.pl that
> comes
> with the CPAN XRI package which does resolution of an arbitrary XRI
> while printing out verbose progress information so that I can
> understand
> what it's doing. If someone would point me to an up-to-date one of
> these
> I'd be very grateful.
[...]
> ( By the way, what are the GCS roots for = and @? :) I assume this'll
> end up in the "Global Registry Services" section eventually, but not
> knowing this is currently the main blocker to my investigating. )

We're using openxri-1.0.1 in the openid4java library and seems to be
working okay, though we haven't tested XRIs extensively.

XRILookup and XRITracert tools can be found in the package, under the
folder org.openxri.client/scripts/.

You can see how the resolver get initialized (and the root
authorities configured) in the corresponding XRILookup class. In
short, the authorities are defined like this:

>     final private static String ROOT_DEF_EQ_URI   = "http://
> equal.xri.net";
>     final private static String ROOT_DEF_AT_URI   = "http://
> at.xri.net";