[OpenID] why is xri so obtuse?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Jan 2 01:55:02 UTC 2007

Dmitry Shechtman wrote:
 > I see. So this is essentially the same as owning a
 > (sub)domain.
 >
 > If I don't want to spend money on registering a
 > domain, I can just get a freedomain.com subdomain,
 > such as dmitry.freedomain.com and then host any number
 > of directories under that, such as
 > dmitry.freedomain.com/friends/ etc.
 >
 > That is, until my subdomain becomes popular. Then, all
 > of the sudden the domain owner will deny service,
 > unless I pay. Naturally, the price would ultimately be
 > higher than what it would have been had I registered a
 > domain in the first place.

The disadvantage of the ICANN registry is that they are
moribund with bureaucratic inertia, and thus are
incapable of issuing new top level domains such as .porn

The advantage of the ICANN registry is that they are
moribund with bureaucratic inertia, and thus are
incapable of ripping off the owner of porn.com

The ICANN registry also has the great advantage that it
has issued lots of top level domains to nations, so any
time the US government puts the heat on them to do
something about internet gambling, or porn sites located
in countries whose definition of child pornography
differs from that of the US, ICANN can simply protest it
is an international organization, and incapable of
complying.  Incapacity is the one thing ICANN is good
at.

But the greatest advantage of ICANN is that it is
monopoly is already established, so when you do work
that supports that monopoly, you do not feel you are
being ripped off if you don't get paid for that work.