[OpenID] why is xri so obtuse?

Dmitry Shechtman damnian at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 00:19:27 UTC 2007

I see. So this is essentially the same as owning a (sub)domain.

If I don't want to spend money on registering a domain, I can just get a
freedomain.com subdomain, such as dmitry.freedomain.com and then host any
number of directories under that, such as dmitry.freedomain.com/friends/
etc.

That is, until my subdomain becomes popular. Then, all of the sudden the
domain owner will deny service, unless I pay. Naturally, the price would
ultimately be higher than what it would have been had I registered a domain
in the first place.

Did I just oversimplify the concept of "free i-names"?

Regards,
Dmitry