[OpenID] why is xri so obtuse?

Steve Churchill steven.churchill at ootao.com
Tue Jan 2 00:05:18 UTC 2007

Hello Dmitry,

I feel that XRI resolution is very clean with respect to delegated
registries.

For example, there is nothing to stop you right now from creating any number
of delegated registries (namespaces) where you host both the registry and
the openID service for each of the delegated XRI authorities.

To be sure, the resolution chain does need to be rooted in one of the global
registries "=" or "@", but you don't need to pay for an authority at that
level if you are willing to use @freeid or the like.

So if you don't want to spend money for a top level name, you can do
something like create @freeid*dmitry and then host any number of nested
registries under that, such as @freeid*dmitry*friends*{john,mary}
@freeid*dmitry*colleques*work*{jeff,jim}

You host both the registry (the "authority resolution service" -- a very
simple piece of code) and the OpenID service for each of the delegated
authorities. If you have any questions about how to do this, I'd be happy to
help.

I've attached an article I wrote that talks about XRI authority graph.

~ Steve