[OpenID] why is xri so obtuse?

Dmitry Shechtman damnian at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 13:00:27 UTC 2007

Greg,

I also love OpenID. That doesn't necessarily mean I like i-names. In fact,
after exchanging e-mails with Victor Grey of 2idi I nearly removed XRI
support from phpbb-openid (an phpBB consumer I am developing). I later
decided that the best way would be to leave the library (PHP-OpenID) as is
and just watch i-names die slowly.

Naturally, you can't be an i-name provider. I don't see why you should. If
you're using a library, chances are you can consume i-names, as these are
supported by the latest OpenID spec draft.

If you're developing a proprietary consumer and don't consider the specs to
be scriptures, I wouldn't recommend on wasting the time on XRI. If it
depended on me, I'd remove it from OpenID 2.0 altogether.

Let's wrap it up at that. If you really want to learn more about XRI (I
really don't!), look at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=xri

Regards,
Dmitry