[OpenID] OpenID For Web Services

George Fletcher gffletch at aol.com
Wed Feb 28 16:49:52 UTC 2007

[Ok, if I've configured tbird correctly, this should come through to you
and the general list as plain text.]

If we go back to the original use case of a person accessing the "main
site" and then the "main site" invoking remote web services on the
user's behalf... it seems like this should still be doable with your
certificates.

1. The user enters their OpenID URL at the "main site"
2. The "main site" determines the OP and re-directs requesting
authentication and certificates for each of the remote sites it wants to
invoke (specification of certificates could use the "Attribute Exchange"
extension).
3. User authenticates to OP (prooveme.com) and grants consent for the
requested certificates to be generated and returned to the "main site".
Note that this allows the certificates to be short-lived solving some of
the certificate management issues.
4. The "main site" uses the certificates to access the desired remote sites

It seems like this model would also work using SAML Assertions as well
as certificates.  There might be a nice convergence path here.

Thanks,
George