[OpenID] OpenID PHP5 Zend Framework Library

Pádraic Brady padraic.brady at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 22:17:02 UTC 2007

Hi Jonathan,

You see its not even a question of whether the Janrain library is or is not capable of integration - it definitely is. But the Zend Framework is governed by Zend Technologies and it's primary purpose is to become an attractive framework for companies and the enterprise segment - as well as us developers obviously. That goal bears a few strict requirements a bit exceptional for a PHP open source project, foremost of which is a clean copyright/IP record with a paper trail. I had to submit a signed license agreement, for example, just to get subversion and contributor access to submit a handful of documentation edits. The second is that because of those requirements, core components must be written from scratch with a clear record of its progress. Hence the proposal and offsite subversion repository since its an obvious audit trail.

As for a *second* PHP library - I completely agree its blatant NIH (Not Invented Here) practice but that's what is required in order for OpenID support to be integrated directly into the Zend Framework under a New BSD License and the clean IP policy, as well its PHP5-only rules. Hence why I had to note it's not a side swipe at the Janrain library ;). It's not and I didn't want anyone wrongly interpreting it that way. But that's the reasoning - if we want to add integrated OpenID, we have to start from a blank slate.

>In summary, it's *great* that you're picking up OpenID and integrating
>it into a framework.  However, I'm a bit skeptical about the decision
>to write another Yadis implementation (and, later, an OpenID
>implementation).  These things are non-trival and error-prone.

They are indeed error prone - I've worked on implementing OpenID in the past under PHP (where we've internally been using the JanRain library ;)) and Ruby and had some fun figuring out issues where folk were making modifications to fit an application's extra needs/limitations. I have a fairly good understanding of the specifications involved having studied them before we were implementing OpenID. From my side its largely a matter of breaking down the specs into digestable chunks, implementing them in stages, and covering myself with unit tests where it makes sense - combined with lots of coffee and swearing at my monitor ;). Not the most scientific approach - the component only has a handful of public methods worth unit testing so there is a ton of functional testing in the background to narrow down the location of any failures.

Anyway, hopefully the above explains more on the "why" of a second library. It's completely framework-centric in its motivations - even I still intend using the Janrain library outside of my Zend Framework based work :).

Best regards,
Pádraic

Pádraic Brady
http://blog.astrumfutura.com