[OpenID] Microsoft and OpenID Q&A

Scott Kveton scott at janrain.com
Thu Feb 22 23:13:40 UTC 2007

I think Dick summarized this best in his email.  However, notes like the one
below make me realize there is a lot of FUD out there and having more people
confirm what this all really means is a good thing.

The announcement with Microsoft was about _collaboration_ with CardSpace;
not capitulation.  Microsoft is going to work with the OpenID community just
like anyone else on this list (and the other lists like specs and security).

Nothing is being discarded or drastically changed.  We're providing another
means for users to authenticate with InfoCards via CardSpace.  This is akin
to having a Firefox extension or using voice authentication.  The more
options a user has the better.

The momentum (especially with the recent announcements) gives me much less
cause for concern with respect to concerns about Microsoft "owning" or
trying to "destroy" OpenID (note: this is some of the FUD I've heard, I
don't think this).  Everyone is getting on board with OpenID and that means
lots of momentum and that also means no one company or entity will be able
to effectively control or ruin it.

- Scott