[OpenID] Microsoft and OpenID Q&A

Johannes Ernst jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us
Thu Feb 22 00:23:05 UTC 2007

Since Bill Gates endorsed OpenID on stage recently, lots of people
have been asking questions (followed by stating opinions...) about
what the relationship between Microsoft and the OpenID community is,
should or should not be.

I'd like to collect your questions, and make sure they get discussed,
hopefully answered and documented somewhere. Please respond either on
the list or personally. (Some people might not be comfortable asking
publicly -- yep, it does happen, in particular on that kind of
subject. Anonymous questions are fine ;-))

Here are some questions that I have collected so far.

1. Has Microsoft made any commitment to implement OpenID in any
product? If so, which?

2. Has the OpenID Community committed to support any WS-* protocols?
If so, which and how?

3. Hang on, how can the OpenID Community commit to anything (WS-* or
anything else), given that it is self-organizing and not "managed" by
anybody?

4. What would be the advantages / disadvantages of using Microsoft's
CardSpace with OpenID?

Cheers,

Johannes.

Johannes Ernst