[OpenID] Higgens

Paul Trevithick paul at socialphysics.org
Thu Feb 15 08:52:43 UTC 2007

Scott,

Unlike CardSpace and OpenID the Higgins project isn't trying to create a new
protocol. Its goal is to present a consistent user experience for identity
interactions that "just works" irrespective of the underlying protocol.
Higgins is a "glue" project. We're defining a framework into which you can
plug your favorite identity technology.

WRT UI: It's true that we are developing a card-based UI as Dick said, but
it's slightly different from CardSpace because we need to support a wider
range of services "underneath" the card:

*	Our cards support both STS endpoints and URIs. We support both the
Microsoft-defined CardSpace card format (which is a metadata "wrapper"
around a WS-Trust (STS) endpoint), but we also support Higgins card format
(which is a metadata wrapper around a URI/XRI endpoint (e.g. an OpenID
server)).
*	Our managed cards may be editable. Since a CardSpace WS-Trust
endpoint is a token service, CardSpace managed i-cards are "read-only".
Higgins managed i-cards OTOH can "point to" (using the URI/XRI) services
that may allow the user to write/update attribute data about them. To allow
the user to do this we're added an i-card manager webapp.

-Paul

  _____