[OpenID] No benefits of XRI i-names/i-numbersas OpenIDs(was:isopenid 2.0 a lightweight identity system?)

Chasen, Les les.chasen at neustar.biz
Wed Feb 14 00:36:28 UTC 2007

Yes ofcourse the global registry is rooted at well known addresses
(equal.xri.net and at.xri.net) and managed by Cordance and Neustar for
XDI.org.   It serves up the XRD description of a global identity (i-name
or i-number).  I was not arguing that the GRS was not centralized.  It
is a centralized registry that is responsible to XDI.org.  I think this
is necessary to have a trust network for identities.

http://xri.net is a client side resolver that we run to help the
community of users but anyone can run one and should run it.

Anybody can run a community that is tied to the GRS or not.  This,
xri://(your-uri.example.com)*johndoe,  is a perfectly legal XRI.

Yes, I agree 100% with Scott's response.

email: @neustar*les.chasen
contact: =les
sip: =les/(+phone)
chat: =les/skype/chat

On
> Behalf Of Kevin Turner
> Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 6:02 PM
> To: general at openid.net
> Subject: Re: [OpenID] No benefits of XRI i-names/i-numbersas
> OpenIDs(was:isopenid 2.0 a lightweight identity system?)
>
> Les Chasen wrote:
> > [David Fuelling wrote:]
> > > Why should the OpenId spec coronate a given vendor/endpoint?  A
"good"
> > > spec should be more agnostic (like it is now).
> >
> > I think it is.  It is just pointing people to a public server that
can
> > resolve an iname so that folks don't have to install one themselves.
> > Xri.net is not the authoritative source for an XRI.
>
> But everyone assumes we're talking about i-names, not fully general
XRI
> resolution.  I've yet to hear anyone really advocate using, say, an
XRI