[OpenID] No benefits of XRI i-names/i-numbers asOpenIDs(was:isopenid 2.0 a lightweight identity system?)

Recordon, David drecordon at verisign.com
Tue Feb 13 21:24:58 UTC 2007

On my Treo...

One of the reasons we didn't choose to just tell everyone to use xri.net is it would limit the use of XRIs in OpenID to those which are globally resolvable.  Just as you can have an internal DNS server, you can do the same with XRI.

The downside is that resolving XRIs is not as ubiquitos as URLs, which meant more than just "resolve the XRI" had to go into the spec.

--David