[OpenID] No benefits of XRI i-names/i-numbers as OpenIDs(was:isopenid 2.0 a lightweight identity system?)

Chasen, Les les.chasen at neustar.biz
Tue Feb 13 21:03:46 UTC 2007

On

http://xri.net/
> > URIs. Since there is a proxy there already, it should simply handle
the
> > rest.
> >

> Sorry if this has been answered, but isn't http://xri.net an endpoint
for
> registrar?
[Chasen, Les]
No.  XRI.NET is nothing more than a proxy resolver for XRIs.  It is
based on the OpenXRI code base.  Anyone can run one and in fact over
time they should be brought down to the desktop.

(i.e., there could be competitors to xri.net)?
[Chasen, Les]
There is nothing to compete on.  It is just a resolver.

> If this is true, the above is a bit like saying, "the openid spec
should
> simply perform URL resolution using Verisign's DNS directory".
>
> Why should the OpenId spec coronate a given vendor/endpoint?  A "good"
> spec
> should be more agnostic (like it is now).
[Chasen, Les]
I think it is.  It is just pointing people to a public server that can
resolve an iname so that folks don't have to install one themselves.
Xri.net is not the authoritative source for an XRI.