[OpenID] Wiki page: Attempting to document the "Email Address as OpenId"debate.

David Fuelling sappenin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 21:07:34 UTC 2007

<...snip...>

> The page is making tenuous distinctions between URLs and URIs that are
> unfortunately 100% bogus.

Assuming you're referring to the wiki page
(http://openid.net/wiki/index.php/Debating_Emails_as_OpenIds), can you
clarify the "tenuous distinctions" for me?  Which statement are you
referring to on the wiki page (I'd like to correct it if there's a mistake).

> The whole URN/URL/URI nonsense was a huge
> mistake as Tim Berners-Lee himself has lamented on numerous occasions,
> including last month when I discussed the issue with him. The URN/URL
> thing was never his idea, it was forced on him early on in the development
> of the Web when he was looking for buy in. URNs are URLs and URLs are
> URNs, If I take an ISBN it is nominally a URN but enter int into
> Amazon.com and click buy now and it just became a URL.

This seems to be a problem of syntax.  Just because a URN can be "turned
into" or "mapped" to a URL does not make the two the same thing.

You're trying to argue that TBL and others don't like how things are
currently defined....but that doesn't remove the fact that most people
distinguish (rightly or wrongly) between a URN, URL, and URI, *despite the
fact* that they can typically be used interchange-ably (but not always).

<...snip...>

> Over time everyone will own their own DNS domain and it will form the hub
> of their personal communications system.

I disagree with this.

1.) My parents will never own their own domain.
2.) Depending on his career path, my newborn son may rarely use a computer
in his life except for email, and thus might never purchase his own domain.
3.) There aren't enough domains for everybody to have a meaningful one.
4.) It's a lot easier to let yahoo.com (or someone else) manage various
services for me (email, IM, calendar, blog, etc), and simply give me a uid
in their domain.