[OpenID] Benefits of XRI i-names/i-numbers as OpenIDs (was: is openid 2.0 a lightweight identity system?)

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 19:25:58 UTC 2007

Drummond Reed wrote:

> Come to think of it, I don't know what the OpenID Authentication 2.0
> specification says about punycode. Rather than cc the Specs list (we're
> doing way too much list cc'ing already), I'll just cc the editors to make
> sure they see this thread.

By specifying the use of standard practice in resolving HTTP URLs, the
OpenID specification avoids the need to spell out details such as the
use of punycode. OpenID doesn't need to specify that you connect to the
resolved IP address on port 80, either. That sort of thing is handled by
lower-layer specifications and their libraries.