[OpenID] Wiki page: Attempting to document the "Email Address asOpenId" debate.

Hallam-Baker, Phillip pbaker at verisign.com
Mon Feb 12 18:33:44 UTC 2007

The semantics of an identifier arise from its usage.

It is of course entirely possible that someone might configure their system in such a way that the Kerberos principal alice at example.com was different from the person with email address alice at example.com was different from the person with Jabber address alice at example.com.

But it is rather unlikely that the party who created this situation would be unaware of the potential for confusion.

If there is an OpenID identifier alice at example.com there may or may not be an SMTP server willing to accept mail for that address. If there is such a server the domain name owner should be expected to understand the consequences of the identifiers mapping to different principals and take whatever steps are felt necessary to ensure this.