[OpenID] Benefits of XRI i-names/i-numbers as OpenIDs (was: is openid 2.0 a lightweight identity system?)

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Mon Feb 12 16:46:54 UTC 2007

>> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 12:21:19AM -0800,
>>
>> * Privacy: if you want full control of your URL you need to register
>> your own global domain name, which requires either publishing Whois
>> contact data or paying your DNS registrar for a proxy registration
>> service
>
>Do you know that there are TLDs besides ".com"? Shameless plug: the
>ability to hide your personal information is gratis in ".fr".

Good point, you're correct that there are a few TLDs that have relaxed Whois
requirements.

>> * Internationalization: i-name syntax is fully internationalized
>> (uses the full Unicode character range) right from the start,
>> without the need for complicated punycode
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode).
>
>Come on, the end-user does not have to use Punycode, it is hidden from
>his view. Even the programmer does not need to know it, there are
>three different free software libraries to manage Punycode.

Yes, but will it be implemented consistently by all RPs and other
OpenID-identifier consuming applications that need to process
internationalized domain names as OpenID identifiers? XRIs are just UTF-8
strings which conform directly to the OpenID Authentication 2.0
specification.

Come to think of it, I don't know what the OpenID Authentication 2.0
specification says about punycode. Rather than cc the Specs list (we're
doing way too much list cc'ing already), I'll just cc the editors to make
sure they see this thread.

=Drummond