[OpenID] Law 1 and EMTs

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Sat Feb 10 17:03:34 UTC 2007

I think you should probably start by quantifying the risk of dieing
because of lack of lack of access to medical records. If you can write a
whitepaper documenting how likely someone is to die because of lack of
access to records, then you have something to convince individual
patients to put their electronic records in control of an ibroker.

The big risk with doing this electronically is that one hacker (or
organized crime group funding hackers) can break the protocol and then
get *everyone*'s medical records. The case of stealing someone's records
by non-digital is definitely possible, but you only get one person's records.
If there is an exploitable security hole in the ibroker's web site, or
in the protocol itself, everyone's records could be disclosed. This risk
can't be quantified unless you start talking about formal methods
verificiation of the protocol, and all the software the ibroker runs.
Now we're back into astronomical costs again ;)

I suppose you start by assuming that whatever method you use to protect
medical records *will* be broken, and then you convince people that
having some organized crime group in another country get their medical
records is worth the benefits of having their life be saved by the
medical professionals having access.