[OpenID] is openid 2.0 a lightweight identity system?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Feb 9 02:11:01 UTC 2007

     --
Simon Willison wrote:
 > XRDS is tricky as well. OpenID's link-rel tags are
 > simple to understand and trivial to implement,
 > sticking to the classic HTML tradition of view-source.
 > XRDS requires accept: headers and XML parsing and, as
 > Rob mentioned, a 74 page spec. What do we get in
 > exchange for that added complexity?

There is much to be said in favor of XML parsing and
RDF, but by my understanding, what we get for XRDS is
XRI - seems to me that XRDS is part of XRI support -
indeed a great pile of stuff is there for XRI support.
Of course my understanding of this large and complex
spec is quite superficial, but that is my impression.

It seems to me that much of the complexity in OpenID is
complexity that could live in XRI servers, not in OPs or
RPs - that XRI could be changed to accommodate OpenID,
rather OpenID changed to accommodate XRI

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      5Afv2JomdJz1yB2aoe2cNSdxIXIvwytHnJp9JOn5
      4jrFm0cWgA/RVEmit93V6Ut74sNOFJIKVzMaxxXlu