[OpenID] PR: OpenID.co.uk - "MobileNumber.OpenID.co.uk" as URI

Allen Tom atom at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Feb 7 22:18:52 UTC 2007

Hi Mark,

It is fine to give people the choice to use their phone number as their
OpenID, however I do believe that it is an OP's duty and responsibility
to inform their users as to why this might not be a good idea. This
applies not only to phone numbers, but also to email and IM based IDs.

While phone numbers and other personal contact information are already
posted on the net, ]users are usually able to control whether or not it
is displayed, and to whom it displayed to.  The new twist with OpenID is
that a someone may signin to an RP using their phone based OpenID, later
regret the decision, and might not have a way to delete or hide their
contact info.

A completely different issue regarding phone based OpenIDs is that phone
numbers are often recycled. Is the OP supposed to periodically verify
that the user still owns the claimed phone number? What happens if the
phone number changes ownership? Is the OP required to hand over the
OpenID to the new owner? If so, is the original owner locked out of all
the sites that where he used his OpenID?

I do believe that the OpenID community should develop standard
guidelines and best practices regarding OpenIDs and privacy, as well as
address the ID recycling issue (as this is not limited to phone
numbers). These questions are bound to come up if mass adoption is ever
seriously considered, and it would be beneficial to the entire community
if we have consensus on the the answers before the lawyers come asking.

Allen