[OpenID] OpenId Association Timeout Recommendations

David Fuelling sappenin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 21:36:17 UTC 2007

Hans,

Thanks for clarifying.  You're right, there is a MITM vulnerability with
Direct Verification, especially if the Direct Verification is done in the
clear (i.e., no SSL/TLS transport).

However, the spec seems to indicate that if SSL/TLS is used, then Direct
Verification is ok (Section 15.1.2, first line of 2nd paragraph).  Do you
agree?

(I'm trying to figure out if Direct Verification is broken in general, or
only if OpenId is done without SSL/TLS)

Thanks!

David