[OpenID] OpenId Association Timeout Recommendations

Granqvist, Hans hgranqvist at verisign.com
Mon Feb 5 20:03:09 UTC 2007

A MITM can easily change any is_valid value since those responses are
unprotected.

There is a MITM attack on the association step, but it is much harder,
as it
requires DH computation and state keeping for later authentication
steps.
There are also DH variants that are more resilient to MITM attacks (SRP
anyone? ;), and such can be added as mechanisms to the protocol.

In reality Direct Verification is useless. Very few RPs use secure
channels.
The message floats unprotected through the network of tubes.

Direct verification gives an attacker an incredibly simple way to
downgrade
the protocol without either the OP nor the RP being any wiser.

What attacker wouldn't love that?

Hans