[OpenID] Proposal: SMTP service extension for Yadis discovery

David Fuelling sappenin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 16:46:16 UTC 2007

Hey Dmitry,

See my replies inline...

Thanks!

David

Is this accurate?  Yadis is relatively new to me, so I could be completely
wrong here, but it seems like all of the services that OpenId advertises via
Yadis *are* host-global.  For example, it doesn't look like most OP's allow
divergent OpenId services on a per-user basis (e.g., Jane can only use
OpenId 1.0, but Bob can use 1.0 & 2.0).

Instead, it seems like the Yadis service document that advertises OP openid
services *is* host-global (although this may be unintentional in many
cases).

Am I wrong here?

If I am wrong, then there's nothing wrong with transforming an email to an
OpenId Endpoint url (using the root domain of the email).  Then, via OpenId
Discovery, the user-specific Yadis document could be retrieved based on the
"transformed" OpenId endpoint URL (per the protocol today).

> Furthermore, a user identifier isn't necessarily a URL. It may very well
> be an XRI. So if your iname expires, you could theoretically tie your
> email address to your inumber.

Isn't there already an established methodology for getting an email address
from an XRI?  Again, that's outside of my domain expertise, so forgive my
ignorance here.

> > A.) I guess I'm not clear why we would involve SMTP in this at all.
>
> In case you didn't read my reply to Martin, there is quite a large niche
> of
> users who don't feel comfortable with OpenID because it requires them to
> use
> a URL for an identifier. An email address is a much more familiar concept.

Sorry for the ambiguity.  I think my question has 2 possible meanings.  I
meant to say that I'm not clear why one would involve SMTP services in
attempting to do the email-to-OpenId transform.  I wasn't trying to say that
I thought the idea was not worthwhile.  I definitely think OpenId needs some
sort of email address integration.