[OpenID] reputation

Joaquin Miller joaquin at netmesh.us
Fri Feb 2 01:46:06 UTC 2007

Bob is right on target about the word, 'reputation'.

Whether data about a party or claimed to be about a party is true or
not is irrelevant to reputation.
Reputation is about the opinion of some people about some other party.
The only fact that has anything to do with reputation is how a party
is regarded.

I offer authorities, a demonstration, and an example; see below.

Please, let's not destroy another perfectly good word by giving it a
technical meaning that is not at all its ordinary meaning.

Cordially, Joaquin

Authority:

OED: "...estimate of a person with respect to character or other
qualities; the relative estimation or esteem in which a person or
thing is held..."
  (Or, for those of us who are net-type-people:)
Wikipedia: "...a social evaluation..."
Wiktionary: "what somebody is known for"

Demonstration:

If Joe claims to be a doctor and is a doctor and is regarded by
people as doctor, then (in that respect) Joe has a good reputation.
If Joe claims to be a doctor and is a doctor and is regarded by
people as no doctor at all, then (in that respect) Joe has a bad reputation.
If Joe claims to be a doctor and is not a doctor and is regarded by
people as a doctor, then (in that respect) Joe has a good reputation.
If Joe claims to be a doctor and is not a doctor and is regarded by
people as no doctor at all, then (in that respect) Joe has a bad reputation.

Example:

Does it seem like there is some puzzle here?  There is not.

If a person keeps leaving blog spam, it is a fact that that person is
a spammer.  So far we know nothing about that person's reputation.

If a site reports that that person keeps leaving blog spam, then that
person has a bad reputation (with that site).  If a reputation
aggregator reports that many sites report that that person keeps
leaving blog spam, then that person has a bad reputation (with those
sites).  If you and I and the rest of us on this list think that that
person keeps leaving blog spam, then that person has a bad reputation
(with us).

The fact that that person is or is not a spammer has nothing to do
with the reputation: Quite possibly that first site is lying.  Quite
possibly all those sites are mixing up that person with some other
person.  Even, quite possibly, we just don't like that person and the
messages they post, although those messages are in fact not actually
spam, but we can't see that because we dislike that person so much.