[OpenID] On OpenID 2.0

Granqvist, Hans hgranqvist at verisign.com
Mon Apr 30 17:42:36 UTC 2007

All,

Over the last several weeks, I have tried [1][2] to ask
the list to clarify into the state of the current OpenID
2.0 specification draft.

There seems to be little interest in finalizing 2.0. The
current draft 11 is over three months old. Draft 5 dates
back over ten months, and who knows when draft 1 was
penned!

Let's try to see if we can figure out something here:

* Do you see anything *negative* around finalizing 2.0?

* With 2.0 RP implementations almost non-existent in the
  field after more than ten months of spec work -- is there
  even a need for 2.0?

* If you have a RP: why are you waiting with implementing
  2.0?  Is 1.1 good enough?  Are you waiting for the spec
  to be final?  Do security concerns hold you back?

While I appreciate the free flowing spirit of the OpenID
spec work, I do believe there now is an acute need for
timelines and imposed processes: Deadlines beget progress.
Interop events ensure interoperability. And so on...

Anyone agree/disagree?  Let's hear it.

Thanks,
Hans

[1] http://openid.net/pipermail/specs/2007-March/001389.html