[OpenID] OpenID + Certs

Pat Cappelaere pat at cappelaere.com
Tue Apr 24 00:19:24 UTC 2007

Let me try to re-articulate my use-case better.

Let's imagine a site that has a lot of sensitive data that is not generally
released to the general public.  However, in case of national emergency,
this fictitious organization would be willing to exchange its data to
selected members of other trusted organizations for emergency response
(RedCross, Police, Fire Fighters...)

OpenID seems to be a nice way to define a web personna but also a corporate
personna.  Some OpenID providers are starting to use certs
(https://certifi.ca, https://prooveme.com/...)

So I was thinking about getting access to that validated cert as part of the
profile exchange attributes.  If the cert is external, it is unlikely that
the user has tampered with the information and I could easily validate the
user organization, email...
Currently, users have editing control over the attributes which is not good
in my case (but fine in all others).
Allowing the cert to be handed over as an optional attribute seems to be a
good trade to me.

What do you guys think?  I would love to see certifi.ca offering this
capability (or anybody else for that matter like Verisign)

Thanks,
Pat.