[OpenID] wiki discussion or here?

Terrell Russell terrellrussell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 21:05:52 UTC 2007

Johannes Berg wrote:
> I just ran across http://openid.net/wiki/index.php/Dual_Auth and I think
> that the third bullet point in the behaviour:
>  * "If none are blank, log in using both methods, associating the OpenID
>     with the user."
> is not really intuitive at all. I agree that there should be a way to
> associate existing accounts with an OpenID, but I think it should be a
> second step.

Agreed.  Not intuitive.

The 'connecting' to existing accounts with OpenID(s) should definitely
be a separate action - done in the 'account' area in an app.  If nothing
else, it allows for more specific, helpful error messages when things go
wrong.

Login has to be as simple/straightforward as possible.  OpenID on its
own, already complicates this, since we had an existing model with two
fields (OpenID has only one).  Expecting the user to get that anything
other/additional than 'just logging in' is happening will lead to
miscommunication and misunderstanding.

I suggest that OpenID field should take priority, if the OpenID AND
login/pass are all provided by the user.

Other alternatives include:
1) client-side prevention of both having values on 'submit'
2) alert/error after the submit saying 'pick one, not both'
3) the login/pass combo takes priority

Terrell