[OpenID] Relationship of OpenID URLs and e-mail addresses

Hamish Allan hamish at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 00:10:41 UTC 2007

On 4/4/07, Martin Atkins <mart at degeneration.co.uk> wrote:

> It's not really clear how direct person-to-person messaging would work,
> though. My draft protocol only allows for person-to-person-via-website

As far as I can tell, that's a side-effect of a properly decentralised
identification system. Who stores the messages, if not a third party?
Even if the third party is actually the OP of the recipient.

Thinking about it some more, I can't use openidmail.com completely
transparently with my existing mail client, because at the very least
I would have to ask openidmail.com what TLS password I should use. So
it makes sense for my OP to spool my mail for me. What's key for me is
that whatever email address they provide for me (be it
username at example.com or openid.example.com/username at whatever) requires
identification. In other words, it's an email address whose primary
whitelist rule is "allow only senders with OpenIDs".