[OpenID] Relationship of OpenID URLs and e-mail addresses

Hamish Allan hamish at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 15:25:49 UTC 2007

On 4/4/07, Brendan O'Connor <openid at ussjoin.com> wrote:

> It seems to me like this would be a way both to have email contact with
> people whom you know only by OpenID

Exactly. I want to people to be able to contact me through my
identity; and importantly, I want them to have to use their identity.
If spammers want to send email this way, they will have to find a
provider to vouch for them, and such providers can be blacklisted.

> and also whitelist-first email

For me this is not so important, but you could certainly have this as an option.

> your OpenID provider could simply hold all the email, then let through
> those you've previously agreed to talk to-- much like the twitter
> article (<http://www.zefhemel.com/archives/2007/04/03/pull-messaging>
> for those of you who didn't see it the first time) spoke about.

I'm still not clear how Twitter differs from e.g. Jabber, other than
that people who you don't know can't get in touch with you.