[OpenID] History Repeating (was: Re: Fwd: Proposal: DNS based mapping/discovery for user at REALMidentifiers)

Josh Hoyt josh at janrain.com
Sun Apr 1 17:50:58 UTC 2007

On 3/31/07, Dmitry Shechtman <damnian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you look at existing proposals for mapping user at realm identifiers to
> URLs?
>
> http://www.sappenin.com/openid/ext/oet/openid-email-transform-extension-1_0.html
>
> http://blog.phpbb.cc/2007/02/04/smtp-service-extension-for-yadis-discovery/

I don't do this *every* time this is brought up, but it seems like
nobody looks back for previous discussion:

On 10/20/06, Josh Hoyt <josh at janrain.com> wrote:
> On 10/19/06, Recordon, David <drecordon at verisign.com> wrote:
> > The proposal we came up with was within the spec describing what to do
> > if someone were to enter "user at example.com" in a Relying Party's OpenID
> > login form.
>
> Here are the past threads that I could find about this issue:
>
> 1. http://lists.danga.com/pipermail/yadis/2005-May/000412.html
> 2. http://lists.danga.com/pipermail/yadis/2005-June/000501.html
> 3. http://lists.danga.com/pipermail/yadis/2005-July/001113.html
> 4. http://lists.danga.com/pipermail/yadis/2005-November/001589.html

And the thread that this message came from:

5. http://openid.net/pipermail/specs/2006-October/000618.html

The wiki page for spec proposals (including *two* for email-syntax identifiers):

6. http://openid.net/wiki/index.php/Proposals

There has been more discussion since then (including Dmitry's
proposal). I think that it's important to look at any proposal in the
light of previous discussions. I think that it's unlikely that e-mail
address identifiers will get into the core authentication spec, unless
those who support them can get behind a unified proposal and get
general agreement that it's a good idea.

The reason that it's not in the spec is not because nobody has thought
about it before.

Josh