[OpenID - Eu] Prezi on my talk at EEMA brussels: Where traditional eID and openid could meet

Martin Paljak martin at paljak.pri.ee
Tue Mar 23 08:05:16 UTC 2010

Hello,
On Mar 19, 2010, at 00:03 , Kick Willemse wrote:

> This week I presented on the EEMA conference some thoughts how openid could be a catalyst for accepting eID’s in Europe.
As you know, we run (the first) eID based OpenID provider. From what we've learned, the momentum is in ease of integration (download drupal, start using WPKI in 5 minutes).
Also, OpenID enables transparent globalization for the eID (and this is user centric, meaning "I want to use my eID card with a PIN code not a password" not the other way around, where a website owner thinks "I would like to use the eID technology on my website"). This matters, as government portals and systems are, as yo describved, "government silos" and protocols don't really matter. Relying on SAML2 peering is totally OK in such solutions. Open internet on the other hand is a whole different story.

In other words, we cater the "long tail" of websites. Unless the use case demonstrated the need for and the feasibility/usability of an "outside of the silo" solution, OpenID does not matter (if used as a front-end for the traditional eID), IMO.

>  http://prezi.com/qfoytinyru_x/where-traditional-e-id-and-openid-will-meet/

>  I think there could be some momentum to introduce openid on one of the EU gov portals.
Don't know what do you mean with a government portal, OpenID is "used" in some .ee government websites that run Drupal.

--
Martin Paljak
http://martin.paljak.pri.ee