[OpenID - Eu] Mission Statement

Recordon, David drecordon at verisign.com
Fri Jun 1 00:31:26 UTC 2007

Yes, this was a lot of the reasoning behind us not having a certification program, wanting to make sure the organization remained neutral and it didn't seem like anyone had to pay money to use OpenID.

What we're more looking at is creating testing tools so that people can have an official way to make sure their RP or OP correctly implements the protocol.  The main difference we see between this and certification is that no one is paying money to use the tools nor there be a list of "compliant" providers.

We just see it as hard to mix owning things like trademarks, domains, etc with a paid certification program since there is the potential for people to think they *have to* pay the certification fee to use OpenID.

--David