[OpenID board] December 5, 2019 OpenID Board Call Minutes

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 2 21:20:58 UTC 2020

December 5, 2019 OpenID Board Call Minutes

Present:
Don Thibeau, Executive Director
Nat Sakimura
Mike Jones
Filip Verley
Eric Schreiner
John Bradley
George Fletcher
Bjorn Hjelm
Masato Obata
Takehisa Shibata

Absent:
Wesley Dunnington
Dale Olds
Lovlesh Chhabra
Amit Dhingra
Takao Kojima

Visitors:
Mike Leszcz, OpenID Foundation
Tom Smedinghoff, Locke Lord LLP

1.       Roland Hedberg's 2020 Federation Statement of Work
The resolution to approve Roland's SOW #4 in the amount of $63,000 for OpenID Connect Federation work was unanimously approved.

2.       OpenID Japan Summit January 2020
The OpenID Foundation Japan requested $55,500 funding for the January 2020 Japan OpenID Summit titled "Identity and Digital Transformation".  $25,000 each was approved as directed funding by NRI and KDDI.  This leaves $5,500 of the funding request.  The board unanimously approved the $5,500.

3.       2020 OpenID Foundation Board Elections
A single community board seat and a single corporate board set will be open for election in January 2020.  These seats are currently held by George Fletcher and Dale Olds, respectively.  Nominations will begin on January 3, 2020.

4.       2020 RSA Conference
We plan to have a face-to-face board meeting during the RSA Conference on Wednesday, February 26, 2020.  Verizon, Akamai, and Microsoft will look into meeting space for us.  There will be a board dinner that evening.

5.       2020 OpenID Foundation Calendar
The schedule of upcoming events for 2020 is posted at https://openid.net/foundation/calendar-of-events/.

6.       Liaison Update
Don is attending the Global Open Finance Summit https://fdata.global/summit/ in Edinburgh this week.  Representatives of many national and international Open Banking initiatives and banks are present and there's lots of interest in FAPI and self-certification.  SWIFT has invited the OpenID Foundation to join its Open Banking working group and meeting, tentatively Tuesday, February 18th in London.  We have an informal agreement to sign a liaison agreement with The Berlin Group and STET.  Torsten Lodderstedt will continue his analysis of the differences between the Berlin Group specifications and the Financial-Grade API.

Bjorn Hjelm is working on a liaison relationship between the OpenID Foundation and 3GPP.  3GPP has defined an OpenID Connect profile for mission-critical services.  Bjorn is advocating doing this work in the OpenID Foundation and including it in the certification program.  The 3GPP specifications are publicly visible.  Search for "3GPP TS 33.180 Security Architecture for Mission Critical Services" and "3GPP TS 33.434 SEAL".

7.       Financial Update
We continue to have a substantial financial reserve, by design.  One of our significant investments is in the Certification program and its team.  Don noted that we are operating without a predictable quantifiable pipeline of upcoming certifications.  Mike stated that certifications are coming in at about one per week, with more vendors than banks and more Connect certifications than FAPI.

8.       Membership Update
We have reached out to those who have certified suggesting foundation membership and have gotten little response.  We currently have about 80 corporate members and about 160 individual members.  Our membership numbers are fairly stable.  There are some likely prospects for future sustaining members, in addition to the 9 current sustaining members.

9.       FAPI "Microsite"
We launched the FAPI "Microsite" this week at https://fapi.openid.net/.  This serves a similar goal for FAPI that the https://openid.net/connect/ page does for OpenID Connect.  Don shared that he believes that keeping the content fresh is key to its success.  He hopes the FAPI working group takes advantage of this opportunity.