[OpenID board] January 15, 2015 OpenID Board Call Minutes

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 27 23:14:33 UTC 2015

January 15, 2015 OpenID Board Call Minutes

Present:
Don Thibeau, Executive Director
John Bradley
Mike Jones
Tony Nadalin
George Fletcher
Torsten Lodderstedt
Nat Sakimura
Pamela Dingle
Debbie Bucci
Roger Casals
Raj Mata
Adam Dawes

Absent:
Dylan Casey
Tracy Hulver

Visitors:
John Ehrig, Global Inventures
Tom Smedinghoff, Edwards Wildman Palmer
Mike Leszcz, OIX
Chris Stoner, Yahoo!

1.      Board Representative Updates
Tracy Hulver is replacing Peter Graham as the Verizon representative.  Roger Casals replaced Paul Agbabian of Symantec.  Chris Stoner is an alternate representative for Dylan Casey of Yahoo.

2.      OpenID Connect Conformance Test and Self-Certification
Tom reviewed the certification legal documents that had previously been circulated to the board.  We clarified the relationship between the roles of the OpenID Foundation and OIX.  We discussed that the intent is not to require recertification with every new version, as long as the implementation remains in compliance.  We discussed that services would likely be identified by names, dates and URLs, rather than version numbers.

[Adam Dawes joined the call at this point]

Torsten said that we probably want to identify services with URLs.  John Bradley suggested that we may want to collect issuer IDs or other entity IDs.  Mike pointed out that we are asking people to say how they configured the software to make it conformant.  Nat stated that from the perspective of a buyer, the value of certifying software is knowing that it can be configured in a way that's conformant.  Mike thought that we might not want/need an entity ID on the form, since it's present in the results, but that we should discuss that in the working group, rather than on the board call.

Tom discussed that there are potential liabilities for both the entity making the certification and for the foundation.  We are intentionally shifting most of the liability to the entity making the certification.

Mike stated that while we may tweak some things to continue improving the docs, that they're ready for legal review now - particularly by those who may be considering signing them.

Tom stated that publication is what helps establish trust in the certifications.  Publishing at OIXnet may add additional value, since OIXnet aims to be the authoritative repository of these kinds of documents.

We are finalizing a hosting contract with Symantec for the machines that are used to run the tests.  Symantec has volunteered to take point on messaging for our certification launch at the RSA Conference.

The marketing committee is working on messaging and launch planning.  Google is providing directed funding for Jeff Fishburn of OnPR to work on the launch.

3.      Elections in Process
Nominations are under way for both individual and corporate board members.  Nat pointed out that we need to publicize the election on the foundation web site.

4.      Additional Sustaining Member
An additional organization has committed to Don to join as a sustaining member.