[OpenID board] February 12, 2015 OpenID Executive Committee Call Minutes

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 19 22:44:05 UTC 2015

February 12, 2015 OpenID Executive Committee Call Minutes

Present:
Don Thibeau, Executive Director
Mike Jones
Nat Sakimura
John Bradley
Adam Dawes
George Fletcher

Visitors:
John Ehrig, Global Inventures
Tom Smedinghoff, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP
Mike Leszcz, Open Identity Exchange (OIX)

1.      Certification
The certification legal documents are essentially complete.  Early adopters are engaged in active testing.  The OP tests are being refined.  Reporting requirements are being refined.

Tom went over the status of the two certification legal documents.  Minor updates have been applied to the Terms and Conditions document to incorporate feedback received from parties that reviewed them.  Liability protection has been added for directors, officers, and members.  It was clarified that certification statements can be made in local languages.  There have been no changes to the Certification of Conformance document.

Tom suggested that we work through issues of pricing for non-members, etc. after we've launched the certification program.  We have ample opportunities to fine-tune the program before it's expanded to include more kinds of participants.

Nat asked whether restricting participation to members now limits our options in the future.  Tom told us that it didn't.  He also said that limiting participation during a pilot period was understandable and justifiable.

Adam asked how long certifications are valid.  Currently we're counting on people to identify when their certifications are no longer valid.  In the future, we could consider adding a term limit after which participants need to recertify.  Indicating freshness of registrations is an issue we should take up in the future.

2.      Trademark Status
Tom sent us a trademark status spreadsheet yesterday.  It covers what we know, versus having performed a comprehensive search, which could be expensive.

There are some OpenID trademarks not currently held by the foundation, especially in some countries in Europe.  We do hold the pan-European trademark and the Madrid Protocol (WIPO) registration, which were transferred to us from Snorri Giorgetti.  The executive committee authorized Don and Tom to investigate ways to further clean up the current trademark situation without spending an inordinate amount of time and money.  We do want to have everything buttoned up with respect to the use of the terms "OpenID Connect" and "OpenID Certified" and any associated certification marks before the certification program launch.  We will periodically return to the trademark topic.

A certification mark can be protected.  It has to be administered in a non-discriminatory way.  This is another thing we need to research in the future.  There is a distinction between a trademark and a certification mark.

Tom said that protecting a certification mark requires registering it.  Mike said that we should do that then.  Don and Tom will propose an action plan in this regard.

3.      Liaison Update
Nat suggested a few additional liaison relationships.  One that has been talked about is FIDO.  Another possible one is the W3C.  The W3C is starting an Internet of Things (IoT) working group.  An ISO IoT working group is also forming.  We already have a liaison relationship with the ISO/IEC WG on Identity Management and Privacy JTC1/SC27/WG5.  These possibilities should be discussed by the full board.  The next board call is in a week.