[OpenID board] September 4, 2014 OpenID Executive Committee Call Minutes

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 15 23:27:38 UTC 2014

September 4, 2014 OpenID Executive Committee Call Minutes

Present:
Mike Jones
John Bradley
Nat Sakimura
George Fletcher
Don Thibeau, Executive Director
Adam Dawes

Visitors:
John Ehrig, Global Inventures

Absent:
(none)

1.      GotoMeeting Account
We agreed to renew the gotomeeting account, which is only costing us about $50/month and which we use a lot.

2.      EU Trademark Update
We are making progress in transferring the European trademark registrations.  France is the remaining country we are working on.

3.      IPR Update
As part of our recruitment efforts, we've engaged numerous organizations and companies.  Some of these engagements have identified issues people have with the current IPR policy.  We could handle some of these cases through an IPR FAQ.  Some may require actual IPR changes.  Mike has volunteered to have Microsoft's standards lawyers look at the issues.

Tom Smedinghoff is gathering data for the FAQ by looking at the last year's back and forth with potential members, identifying issues that were raised.  That data will be provided to the EC.

4.      OpenID Connect Self-Certification
Certification planning is heating up.  A stretch goal is to have a baseline set of certification profiles and requirements defined and tested with early certification results announced at the RSA conference in April.  The OIX is working on scoping out the requirements from a legal perspective.  The working group has started defining and prioritizing a set of conformance profiles.  Roland is willing to work on a certification test site for the foundation.  Don will work with Roland on a draft statement of work.  Symantec will likely provide domain names and hosting for the site.   Mike Leszcz is managing the certification registration project for OIX.

We will need to make business decisions about whether to charge anything for testing and/or registration.  John asserted that we shouldn't charge anything for testing.  Mike advocated that OIDF members should be able be certified for free but that we may want to charge non-members a fee equal to what it would cost for them to join the OIDF.  Don will take a stab at documenting the possible business processes.

5.      Mobile Connect Profile Working Group
The GSMA continues to be very enthusiastic about the mobile connect profile and they are baking OpenID Connect into their Mobile World Congress planning for next year.  Don is speaking about the work of the foundation at the CTIA conference next week.  Four UK mobile network operators and the UK government have agreed on a set of pilots using Connect.  The working group has another meeting scheduled for later this month.

6.      Health Information Exchange Profile
Debbie Bucci and others are working on a charter for the proposed working group.

7.      Account Chooser Working Group
Google is now bootstrapping accounts into the Account Chooser.  The working group is working on recruiting additional bootstrapping participants.  Pamela Dingle is now reviewing the specification.  It may be ready to go to Implementer's Draft status soon.

8.      OpenID Connect Working Group
The working group is working on self-certification.  The OpenID 2.0 Migration spec is about ready for Implementer's Draft review.  It provides a standard way for OpenID 2.0 deployments to migrate to OpenID Connect.  The errata changes will be reviewed at the same time.

9.      Native Applications Working Group
They are having a face-to-face meeting tomorrow.  There are ~60 registered participants.  Most of them are new to the work.

10.   October 27 OpenID Workshop
Each working group needs to decide how to use their time at the workshop.  Registration is at https://openid-wg-oct-2014.eventbrite.com.  They should try to do so soon so we can update the agenda as necessary.