[OpenID board] May 8, 2014 OpenID Board Meeting Minutes

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Mon May 19 07:29:54 UTC 2014

May 8, 2014 OpenID Board Meeting Minutes

Present in Person:
Don Thibeau, Executive Director
Peter Graham
Mike Jones
Tony Nadalin
George Fletcher
Eric Sachs
Pamela Dingle
Raj Mata
Torsten Lodderstedt
John Bradley

Present on the Phone:
Nat Sakimura

Absent:
Paul Agbabian
Dylan Casey

Visitors:
John Ehrig, Global Inventures
Adam Dawes, Google
Bill Mills, Yahoo!

1.      Board Representatives
Pete Graham is now the Verizon board representative.  Eric Sachs expects to not have the time to participate in board functions due to additions to his responsibilities.

2.      Marketing Committee Report
The OpenID Connect launch went well.  The workshop on Monday hosted by Yahoo! was well attended.  Torsten's presentation on OpenID Connect at Deutsche Telekom was particularly well received.  The workshop at EIC is next week.  A summary report was communicated via e-mail.

3.      "Covert Redirect" Discussion
There was a press spike early in the week due to the "Covert Redirect" discussion.  The marketing committee believes that we should make a statement that there is nothing new there.  Several people expressed that making a statement only risks extending the news cycle around the misinformation.  There was agreement that the draft statement created by the marketing committee was too negative and would not be posted.  The marketing committee may go back and revise its statement.

We talked about what procedure we should follow if we may want to respond to things in the future.  For instance, the marketing committee could draft a response, and with a quorum of the board, then a post could go out after a bounded period of time.  Given we're an international organization, a 12 hour window is probably appropriate.

4.      Mobile Connect Profile Status Update
There have been discussions with the GSMA about their participation in the Mobile Connect Profile working group.  Mike reported that the GSMA's default IPR policy is Reasonable and Non Discriminatory (RAND), rather than royalty-free, which the OpenID Foundation uses.  Thus, the GSMA may have problems signing the OpenID Foundation contribution agreement.

Torsten has reached out to other mobile operators and plans to have us directly work with them.  He believes we shouldn't wait for the GSMA to decide whether they are willing to sign the IPR agreement or not to begin the work.

5.      Account Chooser Status Update
The Account Chooser working group is working with the OIX on whitelisting identity providers.  The bootstrapping process is coming together for whitelisted identity providers.

6.      OpenID Connect Status Update
There were useful discussions about session management and logout at IIW.  A next step is to work on the content of the self-certification program.

7.      Native Applications Status Update
Discussions were held during IIW.  They are working towards implementer's drafts, to enable future interop work.

8.      Liaison Updates
The ISO SC27 liaison work is progressing.  Tony will likely end up being the liaison officer.  We will need to send a liaison statement in the September timeframe.

9.      Upcoming Events
Several board members have conflicts with the proposed workshop at the Cloud Identity Summit in July, due to the IETF meeting in Toronto.  The workshop would be on the Saturday before CIS.  We will proceed with the workshop.  Some board members will be calling into the board meeting, which will be held on the same day.

10.   Recruitment Update
It seems likely that several mobile operators will join the foundation shortly.  We are having discussions with a few other big players as well.

11.   Specifications Council
We appointed John Bradley to the specifications council.